Catalytic Converter, Stainless Steel, Universal, 2.00 in. Inlet/Outlet, 13 in. Length, Each.
MagnaFlow universal catalytic converters by Car Sound form the basic building blocks for many applications. The main benefit of universal catalytic converters is that one unit may cover a wide variety of vehicle makes and models. Installing universal converters often requires the use of welding, cutting, and tube-bending equipment that is readily available to most professional installers.
They are extremely well made, with features such as:
* A ribbed body that minimizes expansion and distortion when the converter heats up. They form a channel that protects the cushioning mat from direct exposure to exhaust gasses, and hold the ceramic catalyst in proper alignment.
* A 1/2 in. lap joint where the necks meet the body. The neck does not extend into the converter body, where it could hamper exhaust flow.
* Manufactured with separate dies on different sized inlets. Putting larger neck sizes on smaller bodies would reduce the flow of the converter and the quality of the product.
* A monolithic honeycomb catalyst. The ceramic is designed for maximum flow and surface area. The coating method is strictly controlled to maintain exact specifications.
* Seam-welded close to the converter body for a strong, tight bond. Welding along the edge could allow the converter to expand like the folds in an accordion, allowing the catalyst to move around.
* Heavier-gauge stainless steel, tip-to-tip. They do not use inferior mixed weights and materials.
* An aluminized or stainless OEM-style ribbed heat shield that creates a rigid wall of protection against heat and adds to the structural stability of the converter.